I’ve been putting some time in on my MG TD restoration this fall. The
front suspension is mostly dismantled as well as the brake system as of late
My most recent efforts involve the front end where I’ve found a
number of additional shortcomings. Earlier I reported that the right
front king pin was bent and the brake system required a complete
rebuild. As I dismantled the steering and brake system, I found that
additional restoration work is needed. For example:
- Each of the 4 screws and bolts that held the right front
brake backing plate on the suspension were different. Only one of
the four had a lock washer.
- Several of the front shock absorber bolts were not fully
turned in. Also, the seals of the shock absorbers were deteriorated
and starting to be expelled from their seats. I sent these to Peter
Caldwell of World Wide Auto Parts for rebuilding.
- The bodies of the front Andrex shock absorbers were
installed upside down. I’ve found wooden discs for these shock
absorbers on EBay and will attempt to rebuild them myself.
- The seals of the tie rod ends were missing as well as the
steering rack boots. I decided to replace the tie rod ends since
I’ll be removing them as I replace the steering rack boots.
- The splines of the right rear brake hub were heavily worn
as well as the axle splines. A friend in Minnesota has sent me nice
As for the brakes, I made up a tube straightener so I could take the
curves out of the brake tube. I made it out of some piece of sheet steel
and some sliding door rollers. It cost less than $20 and did a very good
job straightening the tubes. I’ll lend it to any club member who wants
to straighten their brake tubing.